Monday, September 01, 2014

"Hi There" - Freddie "Boom Boom" Washington

My name's The Mike. You either know me already, or you don't. I can't decide which of those categories you fit into, so hopefully you know.

Those that know me know that I used to write a lot of stuff about horror and genre flicks at a blog called From Midnight, With Love. You can check it out, it's still there. I put the better part of five years into that site, and as time went on I grew pretty tired of it. 

I started blogging to have fun and share some stuff I love with people in the process. But somewhere along the way the fun wore out. It became a chore and I took it way too seriously and I just wasn't doing any good anymore. So then I decided to get even more ridiculous and try to move on to something bigger that I would take even more seriously and now I realize I was just driving myself crazy.

"I used to care, but things have changed." - Bob Dylan

Which brings us to now, and this blog. I miss talking about movies and putting my thoughts out there. I just don't want to take it so seriously. And I figured that it would be easier to just start a simple blog named after a screenshot from The Running Man (which serves as the site's logo, thanks Special Edition DVD) where I could ramble about whatever I want whenever I want than it would be to re-brand my old blog. 

I don't really know what my plan is here, but I hope you give it a read. If you like movies and other cool things there's a chance I might talk about some things you like. 

I also feel like it's fun to quote people, which is why this post contains not one but TWO quotations. Don't judge me.

I'll be back talking about stuff sometime soon. Pop on back and check it out.

Until next time,
The Mike

P.S. - Oh, and I'd really like to have a "mailbag" sometimes. If you're reading this, go to the box on the left side of the page and send me some feedback. You can tell me what you want me to talk about or ask me questions about things or even just say hi and tell me I'm dumb. Then I'll respond to stuff on the site and it will be fun. Or not. It's worth a shot though.

4 comments:

  1. +JMJ+

    It's so great that you're blogging again! From Midnight with Love was one of my favorite movie blogs and I was sorry when it seemed to peter out.

    I can also relate to what you're saying here, because before I started Shredded Cheddar, I had worked for years on another blog which I had so successfully branded that it had taken over. It was really as if I suddenly had an editor! I wasn't allowed to be playful anymore! The horror!!! Seriously, I'm reminded of a story Liza Minnelli told about Judy Garland: shrew said that one day, she realised that her mother was incredibly funny, and she asked why Judy had never tried to be more of a comic actress. Judy answered (and I paraphrase): "They don't want me to make them laugh. They want me to make them cry." Great brands can trap us.

    Luckily, bloggers aren't as limited as big actors. We can go off and do something else when the mood strikes--and we can remember that moods are what got us stated in the first place! I probably won't leave Shredded Cheddar for a new project any time soon, but I try to let my moods, more than my brand, less the way.

    But enough about me, right? =P I'm already looking forward to all your stuff, not just because I've missed FMWL, but because I've missed the guy behind them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. +JMJ+

      The problem with commenting on a smartphone is that I don't catch all my autocorrect typos. I didn't mean to call Liza Minnelli a shrew! =(

      And that's "lead the way" at the end of the third paragraph, of course. LOL!

      Delete
  2. It's great to be back and see a familiar face already here. :) You nailed where I'm at - tired of formats and deadlines and feeling obligated to keep up with everything I buried myself under. I legitimately don't know where I'm going with this site - I just liked the idea of using this Running Man reference as a blog title and ran with it and I'm really OK with that right now.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. +JMJ+

      It already sounds like an exciting project. Who cares about impressive objectives? Just keep it going and keep having fun! =)

      Delete